In 1862 the Xaverian Brothers began their long association with what was to become the present Xaverian College Manchester.
The Collegiate quickly gained a good reputation and the curriculum was expanded to cater for the growing Catholic middle classes who were finding their way into the world of business and commerce.
In 1862 the Xaverian Brothers began their long association with what was to become the present Xaverian College Manchester when they began to teach in the Catholic Collegiate Institute, All Saints.
The property known as “Firwood” stood in two and a half acres of grounds. It had been built in 1871 by Alfred Waterhouse, architect of both Manchester’s Town Hall and Prison. It is today the only surviving domestic building by Waterhouse.
After the war the College witnessed a new expansion following on the reforms of the 1944 Education Act and the increase in places made available through the 11+ examination.
In the autumn of 1975 Redclyffe was opened housing a sports hall, drama studio, art rooms and music suite.
Direct Grant Grammar School status ended and Xaverian became a Sixth Form College for young men and women aged sixteen to nineteen within the Manchester Local Education Authority.
College Principal Mrs Quinn led an expansion in student numbers, refurbished and modernised many of the buildings and updated the curriculum with vocationally based courses and the introduction of information technology across many subjects. Her greatest success, however, was to maintain the distinctive Xaverian mission and ethos in a period of much change and uncertainty.
Capital from the Xaverian Brothers and grants from the FEFC allowed a new multi-resource building, The Ryken, to be constructed in 2002. By 2005, the FEFC had become the Learning and Skills Council and recognised the College’s progress by part funding a state-of-the-art new building, which was named Mayfield.
In 2007 Mrs. Mary Hunter was made Principal. Her appointment can be seen as another watershed in the life of Xaverian. Mary Hunter, whose previous experience was in the general FE sector, brought both an objective eye and a heart-felt empathy to a College truly committed to a special Mission. This was recognised in the latest Ofsted Inspection when the College was graded outstanding in all areas of the report. The College was subsequently awarded Beacon status.
We celebrated this momentous milestone with a series of events throughout the year with pride that our mission and purpose of the College was still as strong as it was when we were founded in 1862.
Appointed as Principal in 2016, Tony Knowles has enabled the College to go from strength to strength but has never strayed from our mission and ethos in responding to the ever-changing needs of the young people of Manchester.
In 2012, we celebrated our 150-year anniversary, take a look at our souvenir brochure to learn more about our extensive history of providing high-quality education to the young people of Manchester, integrating our mission and values of our founders, the Xaverian Brothers.